Next course will run in the Spring 2024 starting on Wednesday 17th April, 7:00pm-8:30pm and continues at the same time on the following Wednesday evenings, 24th April, 1st May, 8th May and 15th May.
Due to the level of interest in this course, we are now adding the names of those interested to a WAITING LIST. Please continue to register your interest by completing the form below. We will contact you if a place becomes available.
Online training course
for UK based Workplace Chaplains
Workplace Chaplaincy is a faith-based ministry to those at work. Many faiths support chaplaincy in different contexts, though in the case of workplace chaplaincy it is most commonly a Christian ministry. Most chaplains work as volunteers in teams drawn from different local congregations.
This short introductory course takes a Christian perspective and is ideal for anyone in the UK (lay or ordained), who may be thinking of volunteering with their church as a workplace chaplain, or who wishes to know more about this ministry.
Workplace Chaplaincy teams are encouraged to use this course as basic training for all new chaplains, for those enquiring about chaplaincy, or for current chaplains who might benefit from a short refresher course.
The course will be held online via Zoom. Although the course is delivered online, an important element of how it is taught is through group discussion, and therefore the course is not available as a “stand-alone” online e-learning package for individuals.
The course consists of five 90 minute sessions spread over five weeks and includes:
- The different roles of a workplace chaplain – as listener, carer, critical friend, intercessor and confidante.
- Key skills for effective workplace chaplaincy – including theological reflection, confidentiality, being present, active listening, and being organised as a team.
- The theology of work, chaplaincy and mission and how chaplaincy can encourage new approaches to mission for congregations working together in their communities.
- An introduction to how the economy works and how this can guide a chaplain to engage effectively with those they meet in the workplace.
- The use of bible study, videos, case studies drawn many years of workplace chaplaincy experience, small group discussion, and a detailed coursebook.
- The course is led by experienced workplace chaplains from across the UK who are members of the WCM UK network.
Following the course, participants will be put in touch, where possible, with existing local chaplaincy teams to observe chaplaincy in action, and explore local opportunities for volunteering as chaplains.
The cost of the 5-week course is £50:00 per person.
(Please get in touch if the cost is a barrier to joining in, as we do not wish to exclude anyone due to affordability.)
WCM UK runs the Introduction to Workplace Chaplaincy course online twice a year. If you would like to discuss running your own course as a team, or have other questions please email or phone 07946 655450.
Please be aware that completion of this course does not provide you with a formal professionally accredited qualification.
To register your interest in the course, please complete the form below. This will be for the course to be run in the Spring 2024.